My next door neighbors and I have a very serious problem. Our landlord has been renting out the duplex we are living in, knowing full well of the many problems that are currently plaguing our respective homes. Among these problems are collapsing roofs, collapsing shower floors, and water damaged kitchen sinks. But most of all, he is fully aware of the mold problems that are currently going on. The fact that he knows about it is bad enough. However, he has been advised by both tenants in the last several months that it would be in his best interests to find a way to remove the mold infestations. Both bathrooms have visible mold throughout. It has become difficult for me personally to even shower and bathe regularly because of this, for I fear that my health is worsening. Despite these advisements and concerns being voiced, our landlord has deemed the mold problem a low priority matter. While he has deemed it a low priority matter, I have noticed that the occupants – myself included – have suffered from increased illness, including sinus infections, coughing, headaches, nausea, and other varied illnesses. My roommate, who has a strengthened immune system, has even suffered through similar symptoms. Short of going behind my landlord’s back and reporting him to the health department, I see no other course of action to improve the situation. Thankfully, I am moving out soon, as is my roommate. My only hope is to help others by finding a way to resolve the matter, and spreading the word to others to watch for mold and other problems when looking at apartments or houses to move into. Mold is a very serious matter and is not to be taken lightly.
We recently got the air sample results for the sampling we did in a Park City home. We were hired to do a mold inspection in this home. There had been some prior water damage from some ice damming a couple of years ago. At the time of the ice damming now action was taken to mitigate the damage or dry the walls quickly. Water came down two walls in a bedroom and a walk-in closet.
No mold was visible on the exposed surfaces of the walls, but we suspected mold had grown behind the baseboards and in the wall cavities. Air samples were taken to help determine if mold was present and the levels of spores in the air. With no visible mold, we did not expect the levels of mold spores in the air to be high. We were surprised at the results. There were very high levels of Aspergillius/Penicillium in the water damaged areas. These types of mold can be toxic, represent a health risk and should be properly clean up. We started the mold removal today.
It really is a sad tragedy when an event such as a house fire takes something that is near and dear to your heart. Family photos, memories, personal belongings, and other items could easily be taken away. And in times like these, with the recent Herriman wildfire, we are often reminded of the potential for damage fire can bring. Not only must you take into account the damage the fire itself can bring, but also soot and smoke, as well as the water it takes for the firefighters to put out the fire. And as we all know, with that water comes the potential for water and flood damage, not to mention mold damage.
Utah Disaster Specialists can help you to go through the process of cleanup and remediation of a house fire. Granted, Utah Disaster Specialists can’t really bring your lost photos or belongings back, but they can help you go through the process of calling the insurance company to see if fire damage is covered along with water and flood damage (shocking as this may seem, not all insurance companies cover both fire and water damage), emergency board-up if needed, and the fire, smoke, water, and mold damage cleanup process itself.
(Our thoughts and condolences go out to the families that lost their homes in the Herriman wildfire this past weekend. You are in our hearts and our prayers.)