Call a professional!
Just about finished drying out a house… that the owner didn’t even know was wet! Let me set up the situation: A homeowner had a flood from her hot water heater. It wasn’t huge, but water flooded several rooms in the basement. The homeowner was concerned about vinyl tiles lifting off the concrete, so she called her insurance. They sent out an adjuster who recommended they call an abatement company (for asbestos) due to the age of the home and the likelihood of the vinyl tiles containing asbestos. We agreed to take a look at the asbestos, but were puzzled why no one seemed to be concerned about the potential for water damage. By the time we got on-site, the loss was over a week old. Using our moisture meters, we determined the full scope of what was wet. We started to remove some of the baseboards from the bottom of the wet walls, to facilitate drying. Unfortunately, due to the amount of time that had passed, a small amount of microbial growth (likely mold) had developed behind the baseboards. Mold can begin to develop in 3-5 days, and for the homeowner, this was entirely preventable. Had her insurance adjuster simply recommended she call a professional, the overall costs, time involved, headaches all could have been avoided. Instead, on top of a wet basement, we had to remove some mold in addition to the asbestos-containing floor tiles. If you have a water damage event in your home, why would you trust anyone except for professional water damage restorers? Carpet cleaners clean carpets, adjusters adjust for damages, restorers do just that – they restore your home!